Western University of Health Sciences ensures the protection of employees from reprisal for reporting possible occurrences of animal mistreatment, noncompliance with policies and procedures or practices that compromise human safety at any facility owned or operated by Western University (WesternU).
Any employee, student or volunteer may report concerns involving the care and use of animals at WesternU. Anyone wishing to report a concern regarding animal mistreatment, noncompliance or concern for human safety in research or teaching facilities may do so anonymously by using the Report button on the IACUC’s website or by submitting a report through campus mail to the IACUC Chair and Attending Veterinarian . If the person filing the complaint identifies himself or herself, protection of their identity will be maintained to the extent possible within the legal needs of the law and the investigation. Reports may be made without fear of reprisal. WesternU will not tolerate any reprisal against an individual who has come forward with concerns or allegations of wrong-doing involving the care and use of animals. Every complaint shall be taken seriously and reviewed by the IACUC.
Examples of reportable events include, but are not limited to, the following:
- A condition that is, or may be, a threat to the health or safety of animals;
- Conduct of animal-related activities or protocol modifications without prior IACUC approval;
- Continuing animal-related activities beyond the protocol expiration date;
- Conduct of animal-related activities by persons not listed on a protocol for that activity;
- Continuing noncompliance.